Dirty Secrets: The Truth about Where Mold Hides in your Home
No one wants to live with mold. Some of us are clean freaks and spray, scrub, and wipe regular to keep mold and mildew at bay. Others of us are in the “out of sight out of mind” category. If you don’t see mold, you don’t have any right? Wrong! Mold is sneaky. It hides. It grows in places you’d never think about. If you are concerned about mold and want to rid your home of it, here’s some tips on where mold hides and mold removal.
Sneaky places that mold loves to hide
Get ready. It’s time to go on a complete mold inspection of your home. You might be surprised what you’ll find. Here’s some places to check for mold and mildew.
- Look at the edges of your windows. You may be surprised that where moisture gathers, mold grows too.
- Peak around your toilet if there any any leaking pipes.
- See if there if mildew or mold under or around your sinks.
- Watch for mold and mildew in your bathroom tile and the caulk around the edges and seams of your tub and shower.
- Clean your washing machine. Use a rag or towel to clean the rubber door gasket. Clean the detergent dispensers. About once a month, run a hot water bleach cycle.
What’s worse is the fact that there may be mold and mildew hiding in your home that you don’t even know about. These are things that a professional mold remediation company can find and fix.
Mold grows behind and under things like drywall, ceiling tiles, carpets, and paneling. If your roof is leaking it can spark mold growth. Mold can even develop inside of your ductwork.
Signs you may have a mold problem
1) You may see mold on a surface. That mold or mildew in the shower can make you sick. Clean bathroom surfaces regularly.
2) Allergy problems that won’t go away. If you find yourself sneezing, blowing your nose and stuffy, you may have a mold issue.
3) Damp smell. Often when you walk into a damp basement or a moldy bathroom there is a damp smell in the air that indicates a mold or mildew problem.
4) Standing water. If you have had flooding or a plumbing problem with a water leak, chances are mold growth is happening.
Beware of Toxic Mold Symptoms
The black mold that is dangerous can cause a myriad of symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, weakness, sleeplessness, headaches, and flu-like symptoms. If you are worried about black mold growth in your home don’t take risks. If you see black mold or spot where mold hides in your home, contact a mold remediation company immediately.